Sunday 7 October 2012

A service with fruit

Gathering


Leader: “Come, all you who are thirsty, come to the waters; and you who have no money, come, buy and eat! Come, buy wine and milk without money and without cost. Why spend money on what is not bread, and your labor on what does not satisfy? Listen, listen to me, and eat what is good, and you will delight in the richest of fare.”

(Isaiah 55: 1-2)


Readings from the Song of Songs and tastings


Part 1: First voice (She)

 

First reading: 7: 10-12

I belong to my beloved, and his desire is for me. Come, my beloved, let us go to the countryside, let us spend the night in the villages. Let us go early to the vineyards to see if the vines have budded, if their blossoms have opened, and if the pomegranates are in bloom there I will give you my love.

Second reading: 2: 2-4 

Like an apricot tree among the trees of the forest is my beloved among the young men. I delight to sit in his shade, and his fruit is sweet to my taste. Let him lead me to the banquet hall, and let his banner over me be love.


First tasting: apricot*


 

Third reading: 2: 5-6

Strengthen me with raisins, refresh me with apricots, for I am faint with love. His left hand is under my head, and his right arm embraced me.

 

Second tasting: raisin**


 

 

 

 

 

Fourth reading: 4: 16

Awake, north wind, and come, south wind! Blow on my garden, that its fragrance may spread everywhere. Let my beloved come into his garden and taste its choice fruits.



Part 2: Second voice (He)


Fifth reading: 2: 10 -13

Arise, my darling, my beautiful one, come with me. See! The winter is past; the rains are over and gone. Flowers appear on the earth; the season of singing has come, the cooing of doves is heard in our land. The fig tree forms its early fruit; the blossoming vines spread their fragrance. Arise, come, my darling; my beautiful one, come with me

 

 

Third tasting: fig***


 

Sixth reading: 4: 12-15

You are a garden locked up, my sister, my bride; you are a spring enclosed, a sealed fountain. Your plants are an orchard of pomegranates with choice fruits, with henna and nard, nard and saffron, calamus and cinnamon, with every kind of incense tree, with myrrh and aloes and all the finest spices. You are a garden fountain, a well of flowing water streaming down from Lebanon.


 

Fourth tasting: pomegranate***






Seventh reading: 5: 1

I have come into my garden, my sister, my bride; I have gathered my myrrh with my spice. I have eaten my honeycomb and my honey; I have drunk my wine and my milk. Eat, friends, and drink; drink your fill of love.


Conclusion


Leader: God of life and love
All: We rejoice in your abundant gifts

Leader: God of all peoples and all places
All: We celebrate your generosity and grace

Leader: God of the earth and the heavens
All: We praise you for your provision

Leader: God of life and love
All: We bless your holy name

Amen.



* Apricots cut into slices (eighths)
** Raisins in a bowl
*** Figs cut into slices (eighths)
**** Pomengranate seeds in a bowl






No comments:

Post a Comment